Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Beef Shiitake and Snow Pea Stir-fry

Traffic was pretty bad today so I got home later than I thought.  On my way home, I had to stop by the market to buy my groceries for the week.  I was supposed to marinade some meat and grill it for dinner but I  knew the meat will not have enough time to marinade.   Good thing that I had this prinout from Bon Appetit to the rescue - I was supposed make it for another night.  It looked very easy and I have a meat in the freezer which can be easily thawed for the dish.  I am so happy how it turned out that this will be now an addition to my go-to dinners.   It is very flavorful and perfect over steamed white or brown rice.  I specially like that the sauce have a good consistency without calling for flour as other stir-fry do.

Beef Shiitake and Snow Pea Stir-fry
yield: Makes 4 servings

active time: 30 minutes
total time: 30 minutes

1-2 pound beef chuck steak, cut into  1/4 inch thick strips
1 10 ounces snow peas (or asparagus, baby broccoli, or baby bokchoy)
4 green onions, sliced
1/2 cup fresh cilantro,  coarsely chopped 
12 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and thickly sliced
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and minced
5 tablespoons Hoisin sauce
2 teaspoon chili-garlic sauce
1/4 teaspoon Chinese 5-spice powder

Note:  I find it easier to cut the meat into thinner pieces when it is a little frozen.

Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat.  Add sesame oil and heat.  Add ginger and mushrooms; stir-fry until mushrooms are wilted & tender, about 3 minutes (add a tablespoon of olive oil if mushrooms dry out and starts to burn).  Add beef to skillet; and stir constantly over high heat.  Cook until beef browns but is still pink in center, about 2-3 minutes.  Add snow peas, green onions and half of cilantro; stir-fry 1 minute.  Stir in hoisin, chili-garlic sauce, and five-spice powder.  Saute until peas are crisp-tender, 3-5 minutes.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  

Serve over brown or white rice. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and green onions if desired.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...