Rice Porridge (Congee)
- Boil 5 cups of good chicken stock. Get the best you can find, preferrably the organic free-range kind.
- Add 2 teaspoons of grated ginger. Freezing a fresh ginger then grating it makes it so much easier. Plus this is a good way of saving the rest of a big piece of ginger.
- Add 1 cup long grain rice and bring to a boil. Stir and reduce heat.
- Cook covered for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours at a bare simmer until it has the consistency of an oatmeal, stirring once in a while and more often towards the end.
- Add water or more chicken stock to thin if necessary.
- Serve topped with 1 teaspoon of Asian Sesame Oil, chopped green onions, and shredded chicken and/or poached or soft boiled egg. For a perfect soft boiled egg, cook egg in water at a BARE simmer, just when there there are little bubbles in the water, for about 10-12 mins - the whites will set but very soft. Even easier is to simply crack the egg on top of the porridge and let it cook while it is still steaming hot.