Monday, March 14, 2011

Zucchini Oven Chips

I think that children should be offered to eat the same food as adults.  Allowing them to continually try things and taste different types of food is all part of development.  So my daughter pretty much eat the same food my husband and I eat - the good and unfortunately as well as the bad ones.  And as much I try to feed her healthy, there is the inevitable introduction of french fries, chips, cakes and candies.  Neither my husband nor I have a sweet tooth, so there is not much sweets in our house.  Thankfully to this day our little Princess has not tasted any candy or chocolate.

On the other hand, husband and I have our weakness in things crunchy and salty - chips.  We have allowed our child to have a taste here and there that she now have acquired some sort of fondness to it.  She even blurted "chips!" yesterday at church during holy communion as the minister gave us the holy host.  My husband and I could only look at each other and smile.

So to make up for the bad parenting of introducing such a junk food to our daughter, I made these healthy zucchini chips.  They are tasty, crunchy, low in fat and so easy to make.  Easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy!  They are a delicious snack, preferably served right away while they are crunchy (they get a bit soft when cool).  And feel free to dip it in  ketchup or squeeze lemon on it.  I tell you, these are addicting.  I only wish their crunch could last and that I could keep them in a store bought potato chips bag to trick the little one.

By the way, Sophia miraculously started walking this weekend. Thanks God!  A stroll at the park and some motivation is what got her to start walking, although she is still limping a bit.


Zucchini Oven Chips


Ingredients

* 1/4  cup  dry breadcrumbs
* 1/4  cup  (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
* 1/4  teaspoon  seasoned salt ( I used Lawry's)
* 1/4  teaspoon  garlic powder
* 1/8  teaspoon  freshly ground black pepper
* 2  tablespoons  fat-free milk
* 2 1/2  cups  (1/4-inch-thick) slices zucchini (about 2 small)
* Cooking spray

Preparation

Preheat oven to 425°.

Combine first 5 ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Place milk in a shallow bowl. Dip zucchini slices in milk, and dredge in breadcrumb mixture. Place coated slices on an ovenproof wire rack coated with cooking spray; place rack on a baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 30 minutes or until browned and crisp. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...