I often make this Lentil soup out of the cooked lentils I buy from Trader Joe's but using dried French green lentils is also good. Just boil the dried lentils in water until tender, about 20 minutes then proceed with the directions as follows.
1 package cooked lentils (from Trader Joes)
3 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 1/2 cup chopped carrots
1 cup chopped celery
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tbsp EVOO
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 table spoon curry powder (If you are not into curry though just omit the curry powder and it will still be good. )
1Quart chicken stock
Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a heavy bottomed sauce pan. Add onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes and saute until it starts to breakdown.
- Add carrots and celery, saute until the vegetables start to sweat, about 7 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper, curry powder (if using) and turmeric. Enjoy the aroma!
- Pour in the chicken broth or stock and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 5 minutes then add cooked lentils. Bring to a boil then simmer on low heat until lentils are cooked to desired doneness.