Monday, May 9, 2011

Spring Chicken Stew

Last night, because it is spring ....

... because the weather was cooler than the last few days,

... because I have not blogged for more than a month,

... because I have new cute dishes that I was excited to use,

... because it was Mother's day,

... because I had some bokchoy in the fridge that were waiting to be cooked,

... because I love my family and I didn't care that I was cooking on Mother's day instead of just sitting pretty playing with my new Android phone,

I whipped up this delicious Spring Chicken Stew recipe I found on one of my mother-in-law's Better Homes and Gardens magazine.  It was easy to make, which is perfect for a lazy Sunday night.  It was a hearty and a comforting dish.  

This is a photo of  the dish from BHG:


Photo from BHG

and this is my version, taken by my new 8 megapixel LG G2X android phone:

Not a bad picture, it just does not look as appetizing as the the first one :)


Spring CHICKEN STEW


ingredients


1 lemon
2 lbs, chicken, (combination of legs and boneless thigh)
2 tbsp olive oil
8 oz. carrots, cut lengthwise
2 8 oz. can chicken gravy
2 tablespoon dijon-style mustar
3 heads baby bokchoy, quartered
2 red potatoes, quartered (optional)
Fresh Lemon thyme (optional)


directions

1. Finely shred peel from lemon; set peel aside. Juice lemon and set juice aside. Season chicken lightly with salt and pepper.
2. In Dutch oven heat olive oil over medium-high heat; add chicken. Cook 2 to 3 minutes or until chicken is browned, turning occasionally.
3. Add carrots, gravy and 1-1/2 cups water to Dutch oven. Stir in mustard. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.  
4. Add potatoes and continue to cook until potatoes and chicken are cooked through and tender.
4. Place bok choy on top. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer 3 minutes or until vegetables are just tender. Add lemon juice to taste.
5. Ladle into bowls. Top with lemon peel and lemon thyme. Makes 4 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...