Thursday, June 30, 2011

Pomegrenate Sangria

Ahhh! There is nothing like sangria on hot summer nights.  But what exactly is sangria?  According to my good friend Wikipedia:

Sangria is a wine punch typical of Spain and Portugal. It normally consists of:
  1. a light - dry - young - high acid - unoaked - inexpensive wine, usually red wine due to Sangria's connotation with the word blood. Other reds that work well include French styles such as Gamay or Beaujolais, and Italian styles such as Grignolino, Bardolino, Dolcetto, Freisa or Lambrusco.
  2. chopped or sliced fruit such as orange, lemon, lime, apple, peach, melon, berries, pineapple, grape and mango.  
  3. a sweetener such as honey, sugar, simple syrup, orange juice and/or nectar 
  4. a small amount of added brandy and triple sec or other spirits 
  5. In some recipes (common in the United States) Seltzer, Sprite or 7up and ice.
Awhile back I got a nice bottle of Pomegrenate red wine from Wholefoods.  I finally opened it the other night and found out it was not my ideal wine to go with steaks or other meats.  It has a sweet taste, more of a dessert wine I suppose.  Then last night a bright idea flashed before me - sangria!  Why not?  The wine was sweet and fruity, I thought it'd be perfect.  Besides, it was a warm night and I was craving for something to relax me... and something to make me a little tipsy.

So I gathered all I can find in our fridge that I thought would go well with it and made this refereshing and slightly intoxicating beverage.  It's perfect for the summer night and so simple you can make it in ten minutes.  Make sure to start with cold wine, cold fruits and cold spirits though because you want this as cold as possible.



Pomegrenate Sangria
Serves 4

ingredients:
1 bottle pomegrenate wine (or any red wine)
1 cup orange juice
1/2 liter ginger ale
1 small orange, thinly sliced
1 small green apple, cored, thinly sliced
Honey or simple syrup to taste
lots of ice

Place a few fruit slices and the ice cubes in a tall, narrow, chilled glass (the cubes should come near the top.) Set aside.
In a glass pitcher add first six ingredients and stir well. Pour and serve over ice.
Note : Tastes even better refrigerated for at least 4 hours or up to 48 hours.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...