Sunday, November 28, 2010

Thanksgiving Weekend

The Thanksgiving holiday sort of snuck up on us.  Last week I was eagerly waiting for it to come as I needed  a few days to catch up on sleep and some chores which were pushed aside when I got sick in the previous week.   All of a sudden it has come and gone... Nevertheless, we had a beautiful thanksgiving weekend so I cannot complain.  In fact I am very thankful in this holiday.  I have a beautiful family and we are happy and in good health.  I thank God every day for such blessings -- they are far more important in life than wealth and material things.  I am thankful that we have what we need.

Thanksgiving day was an all day buffet.  We did not get home until midnight and we were bloated from two parties we went to - his Mom's and my brother's.  At my mother-in-laws we enjoyed the traditional thanksgiving dinner: roast turkey, stuffing, green bean casserole, cucumber salad, ham, mashed potatoes, yams, cranberry sauce, and cheesecake.  There was plenty of food for a crowd of seven people so we get more food to take home. Yay!  My brother also prepared turkey but was accompanied by the usual Filipino food.  I don't remember each dish but there was also a lot of food there.

We skipped Black Friday shopping.  I think it's overrated anyway. I hate big crowds and how people get rude to get a hold of what they want. Also I do not have patience for long lines. Instead we took our dear daughter to see her favorite show on concert - Yo Gabba Gabba Live! As my husband says, "Pretty awesome to see Sophia so happy and excited, nothing could replace that. That was some of the best money I ever spent. DJ Lance Rock knows how to hype up the kids, let it never be said that there aren't any black superheroes!" I agree with him, I was almost in tears at the show seeing my daughter so happy... awed and almost speechless. It was such a wonderful feeling which made me forget about the $200 we paid for our tickets, not to mention the overpriced souvenirs we bought at the show.

Saturday was laundry day.  We did four loads at my grandma's (we thought we could visit and wash clothes at the same time).  Still there's more left to do next weekend.  By the end of the day I was tired and don't have the energy for an elaborate weekend dinner.  We have eaten thanksgiving dinner leftovers the night before so I had to come up with something quick and easy and hence this dish.  This is my usual go to dish - all you need is canelini, kale and sausage and tada!... comfort in a bowl!


White Bean and Sausage Saute
5 Italian Sweet Sauge
2 (14 oz) canelini beans
1 bunch kale, coarsely chopped
1 onion, sliced
1 teaspoon fresh parsley
1 teaspoon fresh oregano
2 cups tomatoes, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
3/4 cup chicken broth
2 tablespoons olive oil

There is my daughter's hand - couldn't wait to get the beans!
Heat olive oil in a heavy bottomed skillet over medium high heat.  Brown sausage on all sides.  When firm, slice them into medallions and add back into the pan along with the onions.  Saute until the onions are soft and clear and the suasage are cooked through and no longer pink on the inside, about 5 minutes, then add garlic and saute for a minute.

Add tomatoes and herbs then cook until the tomatoes start to disintegrate, about 4 minutes.  Add broth and bring to a boil, then simmer for 5 minutes.  Add kale and salt and pepper to taste.  Cook until kale are soft but still has some crunch to it, about 5 minutes.  Add beans and simmer for about 3 minutes.

Other variations of this dish:
Tuscan Bean Soup with Shrimp

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...