But today while staying home sick and catching up on reading my pile of magazines, I stumbled on this recipe which to my delight seemed doable. I figured I could use this "free" time to experiment and eat it all by myself... well at least if it isn't successful I could only punish myself and not the entire household.
It is a pancake. Wait a minute, a pancake is still a cake, right? Right?! Thankfully, it was a success and neither did I get a stomach ache after chowing down half of it for my lunch. Yes, I'm a mess right now... pancake for lunch!
So here is the recipe.
Custardy Oven Pancake with Mixed Berries
2 large eggs
about 2 1/2 tablespoons honey, divided
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1/3 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup flour
1 1/4 cups milk
1 cup raspberries, divided
2 tablespoons butter
1. Set a 10 inch ovenproof frying pan in oven and preheat to 425 degrees. Whisk eggs, 2 tablespoons honey, and lemon zest in a bowl to blend. Add salt and flour, and 1/8 cup milk and whisk until smooth, then whisk in remaining milk.
2. Mash 1/2 cup raspberries with fork and set aside.
3. Remove pan from oven; add butter and swirl until melted Pour in batter. Scatter raspberry paste in batter. Reduce heat to 400 degrees and bake pancake until deep golden, 30 minutes. Let stand 10 - 15 minutes to firm up (pankace will shrink).
4. Combine strawberries, black berries, remaining raspberries and 1 tablespoon honey in a bowl; let stand at least 10 minutes. Add honey to taste.
5. Spoon half the fruit over pancake and serve the rest on the side. Cut pancake into wedges.