Monday, May 23, 2011

Custardy Oven Pancake with Mixed Berries

First, I have to say that I suck at baking.  I am intimidated by it because I have a mixer phobia.  Any cake, or pastry that calls for the use of a mixer is just unnerving to me.  And how unfortunate is that for my two year old who seem to have a sweet tooth!

But today while staying home sick and catching up on reading my pile of magazines, I stumbled on this recipe which to my delight seemed doable.  I figured I could use this "free" time to experiment and eat it all by  myself... well at least if it isn't successful I could only punish myself and not the entire household.

It is a pancake. Wait a minute, a pancake is still a cake, right?  Right?!  Thankfully, it was a success and neither did I get a stomach ache after chowing down half of it for my lunch.  Yes, I'm a mess right now... pancake for lunch!

So here is the recipe.

Custardy Oven Pancake with Mixed Berries
Serves 4

2 large eggs
about 2 1/2 tablespoons honey, divided
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1/3 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup flour
1 1/4 cups milk
1 cup raspberries, divided
2 tablespoons butter
strawberries
blackberries

1. Set a 10 inch ovenproof frying pan in oven and preheat to 425 degrees.  Whisk eggs, 2 tablespoons honey, and lemon zest in a bowl to blend.  Add salt and flour, and 1/8 cup milk and whisk until smooth, then whisk in remaining milk.

2. Mash 1/2 cup raspberries with fork and set aside.

3. Remove pan from oven; add butter and swirl until melted Pour in batter.  Scatter raspberry paste in batter. Reduce heat to 400 degrees and bake pancake until deep golden, 30 minutes.  Let stand 10 - 15 minutes to firm up (pankace will shrink).

4.  Combine strawberries, black berries, remaining raspberries and 1 tablespoon honey in a bowl; let stand at least 10 minutes. Add honey to taste.

5. Spoon half the fruit over pancake and serve the rest on the side. Cut pancake into wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...