Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Last weekend, briefly

It was a tough weekend for me.  On Thursday I had the much dreaded talk with my boss with regards to our annual employee evaluation.

Bottom line : my bonus was lower than previous years and my increase was a measly 1%. I kid you not, I got a freakin' 1% salary increase. How much is that in dollar terms is just even more pathetic.  Negotiating for even a slight increase proved worthless, so the verdict is that I am set to find a new job.  Please, pray for me.

It took awhile for me to digest the whole thing.  Come weekend, my emotions took a dive. I was depressed at the unfairness of it all. Sadly, my poor husband and daughter had to deal with me at my worst.  All weekend long.  I hate myself for that but for some reason I just couldn't snap out of it fast enough.  We went to the movies to watch the Pirates, and  I rolled downhill with Sophia at the park in my effort to forget but it didn't do the trick. Thankfully, my husband was considerate to let me have the day to myself after church on Sunday. I am blessed to have married such a man. I love him dearly.   Him telling me "I love you" through it all was like a band-aid for my wounded spirit.   That free time helped me reflect and think things over.

My Redeemer lives. He will provide for us. I shall HOPE and place my TRUST in Him.
I shall not complain but deal with this GRACEFULLY.
I will be thankful for my job but look for better opportunities UNTIRINGLY.

On Sunday afternoon, even though my emotions was not yet 100% recovered I felt good enough to make our Sunday supper of Tuscan Roast Pork.  Cooking was actually therapeutic.  Besides, a good dinner is the least I could do for being a mess on an otherwise would have been a wonderful time to spend with my family.    



Pork Roast
(serves 4-6)

3 1/2 to 4 pounds pork shoulder roast
1/4 cup olive oil
1 medium onion, roughly chopped
3 Cloves Garlic, minced
10 oz crimini mushrooms, washed and cut in half
4 Plum Tomatoes, roughly chopped
1/2 cup Pitted Green Olives, roughly chopped
1 teaspoon Dried Thyme
2 teaspoons Dried Oregano
1 cup dry White Wine
1/4 cup chicken broth
Kosher/Seasalt Salt
Freshly ground black pepper

1. Preheat oven to 350°F.

2. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over high heat. Brown pork loin on all sides and set aside.

3. Discard all but 1 teaspoon oil from the pan.  Add onion and saute until soft.

4. Add mushrooms and cook about 3 minutes or until softened.  Add tomatoes, olives, garlic and herbs.  Cook about 3 minutes then add in the wine.  Bring to a boil and simmer for a couple of minutes.

5.  Add broth, then add back in the pork loin.  Bring to a boil then transfer to oven uncovered.

6. Cook uncovered for about 2.5 to 3 hours, turning the roast occasionally every 45 minutes or so.

7. When meat in fork tender remove from pan and set aside.  Let it rest for 5 minutes.

8.  Boil liquid in Dutch oven on stove top until sauce is thick, about 10 minutes or so.  Turn off heat.

9.  Slice roast into pieces and serve drizzled with the sauce.  (Or cut up the roast and add it back into the pot with the sauce.)

Note that you should slice the roast across the grain so it's more tender.  I made a mistake here as I wasn't really paying attention when I cut it.  Thankfully the meat was tender and moist so it was not big of a deal.


10.  Serve with baked/mashed potatoes, rice, or bread.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...