Friday, September 7, 2012

Day One

The little one started preschool on Tuesday.  At three and a half, she is ready.  In fact she was very excited.


The first day, my husband and I brought her to school a 8 o'clock.  I have planned to take a picture of her in front of the school but she ran straight to the classroom.  And once inside I could not make her pose for the camera.  She was so happy and very very excited.  We lingered around a little bit to see how she is all taking it and then made our exit.  She was brave. Not a tear was shed (well except the ones by me).  Like how I read in books I said my goodbyes casually.  She must have misunderstood and replied, "but mommy, I wan't to stay here!"-- to which I responded that she is staying but I have to leave. She smiled at me, gave me a kiss and a hug, as if she's assuring me that it's going to be okay.

I left the school teary eyed and with so many thoughts running through my head. It all felt like back when she was born, being overwhelmed by the responsibility of taking care and raising a child. I had to remind myself that this is just preschool and what's important right now is that she is happy and gets to play with other children.  Still I couldn't help but think. And why not? She is in her formative years.  "Early lessons have lasting impact", they say. I pondered on what I wanted her to learn - letters and numbers, how to write and read.  Awhile back I mentioned that I want Sophia to indulge more in play than academics in her early years.  However, some days I find myself worrying that she has not learned how to read yet.  Pardon me but I blame the existence of Facebook that now it is easier than ever for parents to brag about how smart their kids are. Maybe it's just me but I do feel the pressure!  I am proud though that she can spell her name right and can write it down, even if it is crooked.

Still I believe that while academics are important, at this age I want more for her to learn how to make friends and interact with others, how to be independent, how to think, how to behave properly, how to pray.  We picked our church's preschool for a reason- because their philosophy aligns with our family values.  The fee and the hours does not fit well into our budget and schedule but we are willing to do the sacrifice we need to do to make it work. As I left the school parking I felt at peace with our decision of sending her there.


At the end of the day, I was excited to pick her up and eager for her stories on how her day went.  She didn't want to leave the school but at the same time she was delighted to see me when I walked in. She had so much fun, she even gave me a tour of the classroom before we left.  However she was a little disappointed that they spelled her name wrong. She couldn't stop talking about it.  {Thankfully it was fixed the next day.}

And then comes her story, "Mommy, there's this boy sitting behind me. He said I have cute shoes!"

.
.
.

Slow down, sweetheart. Not too fast.  No boys until you are 30, okay?  





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...