Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Steak with Creamy Morel Mushroom Sauce



The sauce in this recipe is divine! Need I say more?  Keep an eye out for fresh or dried morel mushrooms, give this sauce a try and you'll know what I mean. It's an oh-em-gee moment at first bite.
I am a big fan of mushrooms so it was mushroom heaven when I saw this stall at the West Hollywood farmer's market on Memorial Day.  I was like a kid at a candy store!


I've had dreams about morel mushrooms ever since I read Hank's post about venison and morels.  So immediately my eye scoured for morels. Forget maitake.  Forget porcelini. I want morels!  And though I did not have the budget for it that day, it seemed too good to pass up on.  So I handed over my hard earned $10 to the vendor for a 4oz bag of fresh morel mushrooms.

If you do not plan on using it right away, store the mushroom in a cool dry place.  Better to keep it in a brown bag so it can breathe.  For my case I used it a couple of days after since I had other dish on the line for our dinner menu.  In those two days that I waited I searched all-knowing google for the perfect sauce.  There were several of them but I opted for a creamy based sauce.  
Jimmy, whoever you are, thank you for duplicating this sauce and allowing your sister-in-law to share it on food.com.  This mushroom sauce is a winner!

Steak with Creamy Morel Mushroom Sauce
2 steak cut of your choice
1 cup chopped fresh morel mushrooms (or 2 ounces dried, dehydrated)
1 large shallot, minced
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup heavy cream (or 1 cup whipping cream plus 1 tablespoon flour)
1 tablespoon or to taste Bouillon Beef (or chicken) base or demi glace
black pepper
3 tablespoons red wine
1 tablespoon finely minced parsley (optional)

Rub both steaks with olive oil then season with salt and pepper and any steak rub of your preference.  Grill steak and set aside.  While steaks are resting make the sauce.

Prepare the sauce.


In a large skillet, heat butter and saute shallots until they are clear.


Add minced morels and bee (or chicken base).  Stir well, then pour cream.  Add freshly ground black pepper and wine.  Simmer and stir constantly until sauce is thick.


Spoon sauce over grilled steaks, lamb, grilled or poached chicken or pasta.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...